16.10.08

Ray Lowry RIP

Ray Lowry, punk cartoonist, and no relation of L S, has died age 64. Must go see the exhibition of his work in Rawtenstall when I'm up in Bury next week... Ray Lowry, the artist/illustrator who worked for NME and designed the front cover of The Clash's classic album 'London Calling', has died aged 64. Lowry died in his home in Waterfoot, Lancashire yesterday (14 October) after suffering from illness for a number of years. Lowry contributed illustrations to NME throughout the '70s and '80s as well as The Guardian, Private Eye and Punch. A Ray Lowry exhibition is currently running at the See Gallery, Rawenstall, Lancashire until 7 November.

1 comment:

Mainframeguy said...

Sad news indeed.

I was a punk back in the day and recall his work... it truly makes me feel old, his following in the footsteps of Joe Strummer.

You may find it odd I have chanced on your blog - I am writing a NaNoWriMo book called "Fred Blogs" though - so you were a distraction in some research. Feel free to check it out if you like - or not.

I'm a Brighton boy originally too.