1.7.07

Coffee at the De La Warr


Coffee at the De La Warr
Originally uploaded by fred pipes.

Did a shift on the 20th Century Society stall at the Midcentury Modern fair at the marvellous De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill on Sea. This is such a wonderful design icon, that even the coffee in the cafe is a work of art! But there is no cycle parking to be found anywhere near! Also took in a fab but smallish exhibition of designers' drawings called Vision Bank, including Erich Mendelsohn's first ideas for the pav, Sir Giles Gilbert Scott’s design for the K2 phone box (1924), Henry Beck’s preliminary sketch of the London Underground (1931) and Sir Joseph Paxton's blotting paper doodle for the Crystal Palace. As I'm writing this I can hear 76079 steaming out of Brighton back to Bristol. I can't believe I missed it when I got off the diesel from Bexhill at Brighton station!

3 comments:

Dave Shelton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave Shelton said...

Ooh, almost made a fool of myself there - I was about to say "surely you mean Harry Beck" but then I checked and discovered that he was really a Henry and just known as Harry. Never knew.

June said...

Now I want a coffee like that one!

Beats my cup of instant, but we poor artists just have to make do :o(